Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas, the Boy's first birthday, family, friends, fun, OH MY!

As my friend Cindy says, this post is going to be in true "Mommy blog" style. There's bound to be one every now and then, right? At least some of my Mommy-style rambling will be broken up with pictures... (Thanks for sharing your photos, Mother!)

Last weekend was busy, busy, busy and yet fun, fun, fun. It started with my mom (Mother, as I call her) and step-dad coming to town on Thursday. To us, the dates on the calendar don't matter; it's more about the act of getting together and celebrating, so Thursday evening was Christmas for us. Mother always spoils us, and this Christmas was no different. I got lots of cool things, but I'm really excited about getting two new pairs of jeans. I have about 25 more pounds to lose to get back to pre-baby weight, and the new jeans fit perfectly and hug in all the right places. WOO HOO! I also got an external hard drive, which is even more exciting! We have so many irreplaceable memories of the Boy saved on the computer, and I have hard-core anxiety that our computer is going to crash and we're going to lose everything. But now, problem solved!

The Boy reading books, waiting to get the Christmas show on the road

Too sleepy to care too much about Christmas presents

Friday was the big day--the Boy's first birthday!!! We spent the day running errands and doing party prep, and one of my best-ever friend's, Marlo, flew in to help us celebrate. Unbelievably, I forgot to take a picture of my completed party spread before we dug in. Bummer!


The Boy is an eater, and he loved his taco fixins'!

After the tacos, came the presents...

He didn't want to get off of his super cool new trike! And how snazzy is his jacket?!?

The big "kids" were REALLY excited about putting together the train!

One of his favorite gifts was his alphabet train. Even a week later, he hasn't been able to get enough of it!

Then came cake time...

The cake was pretty darn close to the picture!

I have to tell you. The Boy is an eater. I know I've already said that, but I feel the need to reiterate it. He eats anything and everything. I've bombarded him with every fruit and veggie I can find, and he eats it all, along with any other type of morsel we put in front of him! But there's one thing he doesn't enjoy, and apparently that's birthday cake.


He seemed quite interested...

And he dug right in when we gave him the chance.

But he did NOT like it! I know you can't tell from the pictures, but he would NOT eat it. We tried to give him a bite on the fork, and he spit it right out and made awful gagging noises. I must admit ... I was a little proud. He definitely didn't get that from his mama though!

The Boy got sleepy, went down with ease (as always), and the rest of us continued to celebrate his first birthday into the night with various adult beverages and of course a rousing game of Catch Phrase. Yes, the boys won this time, but that never happens! (And it won't be happening again anytime soon!)

Saturday was filled with laid back visiting time with Marlo, Mother and my step-dad. That evening, after a nice dinner out, Grandma and Grandpa came home with the Boy, and Marlo and I pretended we were young again and visited lots of old friends downtown. Tons of fun, and we even drove through McDonald's on the cab ride home! We took a bunch of pictures to be sure we'd have good ones to share, but Marlo took them home on her camera, and she hasn't shared with ME yet...

Sunday was the day things were scheduled to "return to normal," but then the snow started to fall. We got about two inches, which for Tennessee, is pretty significant. Mother and my step-dad made it home, but it turns out their flight was the last to leave Nashville. After sitting at the airport for several hours, Marlo found out her flight was canceled, and she wouldn't be getting home until Tuesday morning. Well, we HAD said we wouldn't wait two years to see each other like we had last time...

After a couple of bonus days with Marlo on our couch, things did return to normal. I've been procrastinating on getting this post up, because I knew there was so much I wanted to include that it wasn't going to be a quickie. (Thanks to the Boy for going down early and the one motivating orange vodka and Sprite I consumed, I finally sat down to do it!) I am so thankful for all of our loving family and friends. I am blown away that so many folks went out of their way and spent so much money to help make the Boy's first birthday a perfect, memorable celebration. I feel so blessed to have so many special people in my life not only during the holidays and times of special celebrations, but ALL THE TIME.

And I really can't say it enough, but I can keep trying. THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!