Monday, November 22, 2010

And we're off to the holiday races...

We officially started our busy holiday season this weekend. We'll be going non-stop until the end of February, and that's exciting to me!

Saturday morning, I printed the recipes for the Thanksgiving items I'm making, made my grocery list and the Boy and I were off to shop. It was early. I wanted to get our errands done before his naptime so that I could nap too. (I worked at Decades Friday night, so I got less than four hours of sleep.) We pulled up to Bed, Bath and Beyond at 8:58 a.m. The parking lot was empty, but I figured they opened at 9 a.m. It's Thanksgiving week, for goodness sakes. SURELY they open at 9 a.m., right? I got a shopping cart from the outside corral, put in the Boy's Floppy seat cover and strapped him in. It was now 9:02 a.m., so we headed towards the front door. That's when I saw their hours. They open at 9:30 a.m. REALLY? What store opens at half past an hour? I don't know of any (except, apparently, BB+B). I can't keep an 11-month-old entertained while strapped in a shopping cart outside of a store for 28 minutes. I was really annoyed, but Publix was several doors down, and we had plans to go their too, although I really wanted to do my Bed, Bath and Beyond shopping BEFORE I had groceries in the car.

I am a Kroger girl, but I needed to order the Boy's birthday cake from Publix, so I figured I'd grocery shop too. Publix is pricey. Don't think we could afford it on a regular basis. Plus they didn't have unsalted macadamia nuts. Do unsalted macadamia nuts exist? Surely they do...I have a recipe that calls for them. On the way back to the car to unload the groceries (we had quite a walk because we parked near BB+B which is on the other side of the lot, and I didn't want to have to put the Boy back in his car seat and unhook the Floppy seat to drive closer to Publix), a glass jar of baby sweet potatoes slide out of a bag in the cart and crashed to the side walk. What a mess! Of course, I was blaming this all on Bed, Bath and Beyond. (Again, who opens at half past an hour?!?! I'm SURE this wouldn't have happened if I had stuck to my original shopping route.) I was standing there, with a full shopping cart, just staring at the mess of orangish/brown slop and glass in front of me on the side walk when a nice man walked by. He told them inside the store about my mess, and they came to sweep up the glass. I offered to help clean up, but they insisted they had it. That's the biggest perk of Publix...they are extremely friendly and helpful!

Hopefully the Boy's cake ends up looking just like this!

After unloading the groceries, we raced through Bed, Bath and Beyond. I got a cake carrier (which I've wanted for a long time). I also got a frosting thingy, which I'm really excited about! Both of these things are needed for my Thanksgiving recipes, so I decided that they don't count as prizes for me. They're just part of the regular Thanksgiving grocery shopping. (Makes sense, right?)

My fancy new dessert decorator...wish me luck!

Finally we headed home with our goods. The Boy slept for three hours...bless him! I hate carrying groceries in alone, by the way. One of my least favorite things. When I have to carry them in alone, I put away the cold stuff but leave all of the non-cold groceries out in the kitchen floor. The Hubs HATES that. He always tells me he does, but I do it anyways because he wasn't there to help carry the bags in. The non-cold groceries tend to stay in the their bags in the middle of the floor for days until he can't stand it anymore, then he'll finally put them away. Normally it's the day before I do the next week's grocery shopping. (Yes, Saturday's non-cold items are still hanging out in the floor.)

We went to cheer on the 'Dores against the Vols that evening. (Or if you ask the Hubs, to cheer on Tennessee, although I kept catching him cheering for Vandy) It wasn't an exciting game. Was glad Vanderbilt didn't get completely blown away like some predictions. That's said like a true Vanderbilt fan...you stop hoping for a win and start rationalizing that at least they didn't get beat badly.

You can tell how excited the Boy was about the game...

Sunday was the day for our Thanksgiving celebration at the Hubs' dad's house. It was a long day away from home, but definitely good times and great food! The Boy loves to eat, so all of the good food that goes along with Thanksgiving is right up his alley! Excited for more celebrations (and lots more good food) this week!


Love his new trick!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!