Thursday, January 6, 2011

New year randomness...

New Year's celebrations (and the "rightness" of relationships)
We had so much excitement New Year's Eve that we were asleep by 10:30 p.m. Actually, I was asleep on the couch before that, but I'm counting the official time as when I made the move to the bedroom. My internal clock didn't let me down though ... I woke at 11:55 p.m., watched the (replay of the) ball drop, replied to all of the Happy New Year texts I received and went back to sleep.

We saved our real celebrating for New Year's Day, when we had the wedding of some good friends to attend. The Hubs was a groomsman, and even though I made fun of his cummerbund, suspenders and bow tie, I was secretly impressed by how spiffy he looked!

Looking good, huh?

This wedding made me reflect on some thoughts and ideas that tend to be tough for me. I like things that go according to plan, and when it comes to relationships, I like them to go the "right" way. I don't think that anyone would argue that the start of the relationship for these sweet newlyweds was anything in the "right" department. And for awhile, I sort of resisted accepting the two of them as a legitimate couple. But now, reflecting on it, I realize that just because a relationship doesn't go "right" from the beginning doesn't mean that it isn't meant to be. I am confident that these two friends are perfect for each other, they make each other better people and they will be married for the rest of their lives. And I am proud that they are a part of my life.

Their now "official" perfect little family

Do any of us really have "right" relationships? I know I sure don't! I have friends who are miserably unhappy but stick with their significant others because it's the easy thing to do. I have friends that sneak around behind their partners' backs (which I do NOT agree with) and know that they're doing wrong but can't figure out how to move forward. I have (lots of) friends that didn't do things in the "right" order and had babies before marriage. Even my few married friends that did everything in the "right" order and appear to have "right" relationships have their own secret problems. But I love, love, love all of my friends, so I am working to redefine "right" and accept it as whatever is "right" for that person.

Our weekend of New Year's celebrations concluded with going for a walk in the sun with the Boy. He loves it outside, and even though it was chilly, the sun was invigorating!

Thanks to our favorite babysitters not only for babysitting while we attended the wedding but also for this cool trike they got the Boy for his birthday!

Back to the grind our routine
Tuesday meant back to work for us and back to school for the Boy. (After spending so much time with him over the holidays, I really missed him during the work day!) The Boy only returned to his normal routine for one day though, because as of yesterday, he officially moved up to his new toddler class at school. He loves it! (although I'm sure he'll miss all of the snuggle time with his favorite infant teacher, Miss Meagan) He's been visiting his new classroom for parts of the day for the last couple of weeks, and he is so intrigued by the bigger kids and classroom learning centers. He loves going outside twice every day and is really thriving with the more structured schedule. No more cribs and high chairs at school ... they eat family-style with little tables and chairs and sleep on cots.

He might not be a baby anymore, but he's still Mommy's sweet little boy. His favorite car ride activity is holding my hand. It seriously makes my heart melt. No matter how bad my elbow hurts or how cramped up my arm is from navigating it to the back seat while driving, I just can't stand to hear him cry when I know all he wants is to have his sweet little hand in mine.

I bet you couldn't resist either!

As of this morning, my routine includes something that it hasn't for awhile. Yep, I'm back to the Y. I'm not happy about the timing. When I was a workout regular, I always hated the first of the year when all of the resolutioners got in my way and couldn't wait for February or March when they'd gradually slip away. It's going to look like it to all of the YMCA regulars, but I'm not getting back to the workouts because of any New Year's resolution. Schedules don't permit me to go workout after work, and I haven't been able to go before work due to nursing the Boy, pumping before work, etc. Now that I'm done with that, I can't wait to get back! Pre-baby size, here I come!

Nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, heeeeyyyyyy, goodbye
Vince Young, that is for you. I was pleased to hear yesterday evening that Bud Adams, the owner of the Tennessee Titans, had made the decision that VY won't be on the roster next year. This is what I had been hoping (and I wasn't sure that Bud had it in him to make the cut). According to the interviews on all of the local news stations yesterday, apparently this is what most Nashvillians were hoping, too. Now he just needs to make it official that Coach Fisher WILL be here next year!

And to conclude my randomness, check out what's published about you online!
Check out http://www.spokeo.com/. Their tag line is "not your grandma's phonebook," and they aren't kidding! You just type your name in the search box, and all kinds of information pops up (frequently including your age, marital status, spouse's name, home address, photo of your home, your home's value, phone number, even your hobbies). This is all information gathered from public records, but for me, this is just too much to be so easily accessed. The good news is you can remove your profile. Click the privacy link at the bottom right corner of the screen for removal instructions. Be sure to search any nicknames and maiden names and check all previous addresses. I had several listings. I wish I would have taken a screenshot to share of all of the information they had on me before I had my profiles removed!

Happy 2011 to all of you!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the spokeo info. I found my name and got it deleted.

    You are so right about so much -- holding Brady's hand, bye bye VY, and defining 'right,' etc. We have to re-define right within our own lives too. Sometimes good enough IS good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Mother! Nice to hear you agree on my randomness and that you got your info deleted.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!