Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Better late than never?

If your answer is no, then you must not be a busy working woman, with an almost 14 month old, along with a husband, a house and one (or ten?) too many things to do each day. If your answer is yes, then keep on reading for a January wrap-up.

Our January was filled with lots of things--more snow than Tennessee has seen in a LONG time, our five year wedding anniversary, the announcement that Jeff Fisher would not be head coach of the Titans next year (bummer) and planning of my 28th birthday celebration. One thing that our January certainly was not filled with was (unfortunately) healthiness!

It all started early in the month when I decided to work from home and not try to tackle the roads on one of our many snow days. By around lunch time things were starting to melt outside, and the Hubs, the Boy and I decided to venture out to lunch. Within an hour or so of returning home from lunch, I was in the midst of something horrible going on with my stomach. After a couple of hours of dealing with shooting stomach pain, violent chills, lightheadedness and some other symptoms of which I'll spare you, the Hubs decided it was time to go to the hospital. The Boy's favorite babysitters came right over (can't thank them enough), and off we went to the Vanderbilt ER. Several hours, two bags of IV fluid, nausea medicine and some Morphine later, we were on our way home with a diagnosis that although there had been a stomach virus going around, the doctor was pretty confident I had food poisoning due to the rapid onset and timing of my symptoms.

This is what I stared at for five hours in the emergency room. The Hubs, on the other hand, enjoyed watching the college football national championship game which was happening that night. It came on ESPN, so if we'd been at our cable-lacking home, he'd have missed it. (Gasp!)
See, I was just taking one for the team...

A couple of days later, just as I had mostly regained my strength and things were getting back to normal, the Hubs was awoken from his sleep at about 1:30 a.m. with many of those same horrible symptoms I had just experienced, and we realized I hadn't had food poisoning after all. During the Hubs' downtime, I hit another speed bump. While eating a sandwich, I bit my lip. Hard. I know it sounds silly, but it really ended up causing some problems. My whole mouth became REALLY sore for days, and I could barely talk! For someone who hadn't eaten in days due to stomach problems prior to the sandwich/lip bite incident, I was really hungry and really miserable.

Of course stomachs eventually settled, my mouth healed, and I was sure we were back on our way to health superstars. That is, until I got a call from the Boy's school director last Friday morning. He had tripped walking over to get seated for his morning snack and hit his face on the corner of the snack table on the way down. The table definitely won the fight ... he ended up with a small cut on his eye lid and a bloody/swollen/bruised nose. This warranted a trip to the Boy's pediatrician where we learned kids his age don't really have any bones in their nose yet (still mostly cartilage) so they rarely break noses, that we should keep him doped up on infant Motrin for a couple days to help with the nose pain, and the swelling and bruising should be gone within a couple of weeks. We also learned that the Boy had what might be the start of an ear infection, so he was prescribed his first ever antibiotic. The pink stuff ... yum, yum!

The Boy's busted up nose
(Ignore the food all over his mouth. The nose pain definitely did NOT put a damper on his appetite.)

As you can imagine, all of this craziness has put me WAY behind at work so I've been going in early, skipping lunches and scrambling to stay afloat get somewhat caught up.

We were able to fit some fun into the few "well" periods of the month. The Boy and I did the Zoo Run Run 5K at the Nashville Zoo. It was chilly but not bad at all once we got going. And as I've said before, the Boy loves being outside!

We're ready to go!

The token souvenir "in front of the sign" photo

We stayed at a cabin in Alabama for a couple of days to do our holiday celebration with the Hubs' mom and step-dad. Someone was smiling down on us ... the sun was out the entire weekend!

Doing a little outdoor exploring with Grandma

And that brings us to February. February is a fun month. One of my sisters turned 18 YEARS OLD today, and my other sister turns 16 later this month. Next Saturday both my dad and I celebrate our birthdays. Throw Valentine's Day in there, Mother coming to visit, my dad coming down for a couple of days from Michigan, and it's just a non-stop party! Fingers crossed that it's a HEALTHY party...


  1. Whew! I'm exhausted just reading about all you do. Glad you are feeling better. Can't wait to see you soon!

  2. Youre right! That did sound exhausting! I had even forgotten that all of that happened!


Would love to hear from you!